***HELPFUL TIME SAVING TIP***
With our soups, you have the option of adding meat. Instead of browning over a stove burner, put ground beef/chicken, chorizo, or chopped up sausage on a cookie sheet, enough for 5 or 6 soups, and brown in oven at 375 for 12-15 minutes. Divide into portions and freeze in freezer bags for a quick addition to your crockpot:) With your leftover vegetables…put them in small baggies and freeze them to add to soups at a later date.
****SLOW COOKER DISCREPANCIES****
All of our soups are slow cooker/crock pot friendly, but for some of them, a slow cooker is required. I have 4 slow cookers and each of them cook differently. Having said that, I have tried to give an accurate cooking time for each of the soup, but you will need to assess the timing on your own appliance. If it says 6-8 hours, because of the slowness of the cooking, 10 hours will not hurt it one bit. With the soups that contain beans, especially the Mexican Taco Soup with the black beans, leaving it longer, will help and enhance the flavour. The soups that do not necessarily require a slow cooker, can easily be cooked in the slow cooker on low for several hours and still be wonderful.
****SAVOURY GLUTEN FREE STUFFING****
*Try our “Savoury Quinoa Pilaf “or “Quinoa Fruit and Nut Salad” and make your GLUTEN FREE stuffing. Make the packages according to instructions BUT replace water with chicken or veggie broth and set aside.
Directions: Saute 1 large chopped onion and 2 stalks of celery, add 2 tsp poultry seasoning..1 tsp sage, (can add 1-2 cups of cooked brown and wild rice, mushrooms and/or chestnuts to the mixture) 1/4 cup cranberries. For those that enjoy meat, a bit of sauteed turkey or pork sausage adds a nice rich flavour. Bake in oven along side your turkey for a delicious savoury GLUTEN FREE stuffing. (or cook in slowcooker for 4 hours to free up your oven)
OUR SOUPS, SALADS, AND PILAFS
As many cooks know, soup is something you can play with….you can make it your own by adding those little left overs you have in your fridge, frozen vegetables, or a can of tomatoes.
- With our two Pilafs, Savory Quinoa and Orzo & Rice, there are many exciting variations for your table.
Try adding sauteed vegetables eg. peppers ,mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, or some succulent shrimp or chicken.
- Stuffed peppers:)… parboil yellow, red and orange peppers, fill with the Pilaf and chopped chicken or seafood , pour tomato sauce over and bake for a delicious main course.
- Oven roast a butternut or acorn squash, cut in half, add Pilaf and bake for a lovely side dish.
- OR, With the left over pilaf…let cool, add…chopped pepper, olives, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Flavour with your favorite Mediterranean Salad dressing and voila..you have a wonderful delicious GREEK salad.
- Our Tuity Fruity Moroccan Couscous Pilaf is delicious hot, but when it is chilled, add chopped apple and apricot, or 1 chopped mango and and 2 finely chopped green onions for a refreshing delicious salad.
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad…cook “Quinoa Pilaf” according to directions and chill…in a large bowl mix together…1/4 cup olive oil,1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 diced tomatoes, 1 cucumber diced, 2 carrots grated, and 1 cup of fresh parsley. Toss in with the Quinoa pilaf.
- Quinoa Pesto Salad…cook “Quinoa Pilaf” according to directions and chill…when cold..add 1/4 cup pesto, 1/3 cup chopped almonds, 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed), 1/2 cup roughly chopped artichoke hearts, 1 roasted red pepper, 1 cup halved grape tomatoes. Enjoy!!!
Spinach and Orzo Salad OR Spinach and Quinoa Salad
- Cook ” Pilaf” according to instructions and cool. Put in large bowl and stir in: 1-10oz pkg baby spinach leaves, 1/2 lb crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, 3/4 cup pine nuts. Toss with 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Serve cold.
For our “GLUTEN FREE” customers that have drooled over our Mexican Taco Soup, but been unable to have it because of the wheat additive in the base….we now have a base with potato starch. So on the shelves is Gluten Free Mexican Taco Soup ))) So excited!!!! We have not replaced the original as our many customers would not be happy with that, although we made them side by side and there is very little difference.
“Chicken Little’s Noodle Soup” Delicious pasta made with beets, spinach, tomato and durum wheat….or organic corn pasta for the GLUTEN FREE option. For those curry lovers (me:) add 1&1/2 tbsp curry and 1 tsp of ginger to the pot as you are cooking the base, then when you add the noodles, add 1 can of coconut milk….delicious “COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP”
Our soups calling for “coconut milk” can be made more decadent by using “coconut cream”:)
* Mulligatawny Soup is a delicious “southeast asian” soup with delicious contrasting bursts of flavour. Try adding a 1/4 cup of currants..lovely addition. This soup requires the spice Tamarind concentrate. This spice can be located in the Asian isle of some stores or an Asian grocery store. It is the primary spice flavour in worcestershire sauce and can be used, but the sauce adds wheat and salt plus many other unwanted items to your soup.
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup, is delicious with shrimp or chicken sautéed in butter and curry…just adds that extra zing.
- I have added delicious roasted yams/carrots to the soup. The sweetness was so complimentary and it gave it a bit more thickness.
- Steep the water with lemongrass, then cook the soup package in the lemongrass water and add a squirt of lime.
- Pour over chicken breast/thighs, bake in the oven until chicken is done, serve over our easy 5 minute….
- “Add the left over soup to the TUITY FRUITY MOROCCAN COUSCOUS PILAF” as a delicious curry dish.
- Seafood Chowder….More goodness for this soup…add lots of extra veggies, chicken stock and chicken and/or scallops, shrimp and white fish for a delicious curry chowder!!
Add a tin of tomatoes and puree for a delicious change.
- For the “Nonna’s Minestrone Soup” cabbage, spinach, kale and/or swiss chard is a delicious nutritous addition.
- We have 2 delicious Curry Salads…Coconut Curry Quinoa and Curry Couscous Fruit and Nut. They are interchangeable as far as additives listed on the label. To the CCQS try adding 1/2 cup orange juice,3/4 cup mayo, one small apple chopped, 1/2 cup each of celery and cucumber. To the CCFN, add the coconut milk with the celery/apple/cucumber combo.
- Our Delicious “Quinoa Fruit & Nut Salad”
This salad has great spices and does not require a salad dressing..however, if you would like a little change up…a raspberry vinaigrette is lovely in place of the mint…try adding a bit of feta cheese as well:)
* Quinoa Breakfast Cereal for “DESSERT” Lovely Quinoa Creamy Pudding
Make Quinoa Breakfast Cereal according to directions. In another saucepan, heat 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups soy milk (any type of milk), 1/8 tsp cardamom, juice and zest of one orange, 2 tbsp of honey, and reserved cranberries. Add cooked quinoa and simmer til all liquid has been absorbed. Serve warm:)
OR…1 and 1/2-2 cups of soy/coconut/almond milk…bring to a boil. Stir in breakfast cereal package (including fruit) 1/4 cup pur maple syrup. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15-20 min until quinoa is cooked. Stir in 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup coconut. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt and 3 tbsp honey.
Remember, our products contain NO added salt and may need a little..only to your taste of course.